Cancellations, restrictions announced amid COVID-19
Editor’s note: If your school, entity or event has been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and is not listed below please send the information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, call the office at 940-549-7800 or by Facebook comment or message. This article will continued to be updated as information is provided.
With the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic sweeping across the nation many Young County schools, entities, businesses and events have announced cancellations and/or restrictions despite no cases being reported in the county.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the virus can cause mild symptoms to severe illness and death. Some of the symptoms, which can appear 2 to 14 days after exposure, include fever, cough and shortness of breath.
- All Texas schools are suspended until April 3 at midnight.
- The city of Graham closed City Hall to all non-city employees until further notice. City staff will be working and available by phone or email. To find contact information, visit www.cityofgrahamtexas.com. For set up of new services, disconnect services, or to make a utility payment, call 940-549-3322.
- The Visitor and Business Center which houses the Graham Chamber of Commerce, Convention and Visitor Bureau and Graham Economic Development, is closed. Services are still available for members and guests by contacting 940-549-3355 or email@example.com.
- The Library of Graham is closed to the public, but staff will be answering phones and the facility will have curbside services available. For more information, contact 940-549-0600.
- The Graham Police Department closed their main lobby to walk-in community member visits. Any person wishing to speak with an investigator or administration, call 940-549-6441 and make an appointment. If you would like to contact police administration with questions or concerns, email firstname.lastname@example.org. To contact the Criminal Investigation unit, email email@example.com.
- Graham Regional Medical Center adjusted visiting hours to 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekday and no visitation on weekends. According to Facebook, they are requesting only one visitor as a precaution. In addition they have closed the Auxiliary Gift Shop and canceled all elective surgeries and outpatient imaging for two weeks.
- The Graham Wellness Center will be closed until further notice, they noted that this does not include patients with physician orders to receive physical therapy.
- Young County Family Clinic has changed how they are seeing patients. Sick patients will be directed to Clinic A and all well patients will be directed to Clinic B. If a patient does not have appointment, please call before going to the clinic, so that questions about health status can be asked in order to direct you to the appropriate building. Do not bring extra people to scheduled visits, unless necessary.
- Young County Sheriff’s Office has suspended visitation to the jail until terminated by the Office of the Governor or until the March 13 state disaster declaration is lifted or expired.
- Graham Senior Center and Activity Center is closed to the public starting March 16.
- “Effective tomorrow Tuesday, March 17th, 2020. The Senior Citizens Center or Graham Activity Center will be closed down to the public,” posted on the Graham Community America page. “We will still deliver meals on wheels at this time. There will be no use of the building including rentals that were previously made and for the future other than to supply the meals on wheels program. If a meal is needed we will provide to go meals to those who call in by 10:00 a.m. to reserve their meal. The meal may be picked up at the center as directed, but no entrance to the building will be permitted under any circumstances. These guidelines must be implemented until the City of Graham clears us for use of the building. If you have any questions or updates please feel free to call the Center. 940-549-5451.”
- Walmart has reduced their hours from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- United Supermarket will be offering Senior Hours from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays, along with limiting certain items including water (both gallon and packs), hamburger meat, milk, bread and eggs.
- Dollar General announced that nationwide they will be having Senior Hour, from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. starting March 17 to provide at-risk customers to purchase what they need. Additionally all stores will close an hour earlier to allow employees to clean and re-stock. Dollar General in Graham will close at 8 p.m., while Olney will close at 9 p.m.
- VFW Graham Memorial Post 8567 will be closed March 19 through 21.
- Garden Terrace Healthcare Center has canceled all events.
- The Old Post Office Museum and Art Center is closed until further notice.
- Texas Workforce Solutions in Graham is closed to the public, but is answering phones to assist the community.
- First State Bank is temporarily suspending all lobby access at all locations. Drive thru and ATM services will remain available. The bank will be available by appointment for services which are not able to be completed through online and mobile banking or through the drive thru and night deposit box services.
- The Visitor and Business Center (Graham Chamber of Commerce, Convention and Visitors Bureau and Graham Economic Development) is closed for the remainder of the week. The closing will be re-evaluated on Friday, March 20, to decide if additional time is necessary. Chamber members and guests can contact the chamber at 940-549-3355 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Young County Rodeo, scheduled for March 19 through March 21, has been postponed to May 23 through May 24.
- Young County Warrior Ranch’s 9th Annual Operation Gunsmoke Helicopter Hog Hunt, scheduled for March 20 and 21, has been postponed until later this year.
- Spivey Hill Challenge, scheduled for April 4, will be conducted as a virtual run.
- The GIA’s Annual Meeting and Banquet, scheduled for March 26, has been canceled, according to Joe Beruta’s Facebook.
- “The GIA's Annual Meeting & Banquet scheduled for Thursday, March 26th at the OPOMAC has been canceled to comply with Federal, State, & local recommendations related to COVID-19,” Beruta said. “A mail notice of cancellation has been sent to the GIA membership.”
- Graham Regional Theatre’s Community Cast Party, scheduled for March 28, has been postponed until further notice. In addition they have closed The Perry due to the Disaster Declaration.
- “We must close for the time being. I firmly believe it would be irresponsible to do otherwise. I am working on a few online options and the possible posting of some past shows so you can all get your Live Theatre Fix as needed,” Christian Sanders said. “I am also hoping to use this time to work on some projects to improve the theatre space.”
- Quarterly Graham Chamber Luncheon will be livestreamed, no gathering. They will be delivering the lunch to their members as a service, according to Krisa De La Cruz.
- The Crawfish and Cannons event at Fort Belknap is canceled and the Goodnight Loving Run has moved to a virtual run.
- The Keep Graham Beautiful Spring Clean-Up event has been postponed.
- The Graham Regional Medical Center Chalupa Luncheon has been canceled, but they will still hold their raffle.
- All events and family reunions at Fort Belknap are cancelled for the time being. All buildings are closed as well, but the grounds are open for foot traffic between the hours of 9 a.m. to sunset.
- The Texas Department of State Health Services will not host an immunization clinic for the month of April. Immunizations will be available at the Archer City Field Office by calling 940-574-2159 for an appointment.
According to the CDC, steps which residents can take to help prevent the spread of the virus including washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using alcohol-based hand sanitizer, avoiding contact with their faces, avoiding contact with people who are sick, staying home when sick, covering a cough or sneeze with a tissue and disposing of the tissue in the trash and by cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.